Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mission Statement

To say that I'm an educated consumer is a severe understatement. I work in advertising, am relatively well paid, well educated, live in New York, have no children, engage in social media, and love to buy things. I am a super consumer. Not in the top tier of spenders by any means, but certainly in the top tier of most engaged. Thus, I've come to place the utmost premium on the somewhat intangible attribute of customer service, hereafter known as 'customer love.'

I adore good customer love. It makes me respect a company or brand or product so much that I talk about it, in great detail, after witnessing it. Like a chocolate chip cookie...it makes me feel warm, cozy, loved and appreciated. Meanwhile, I've always been infuriated by bad customer love, often sending handwritten letters to companies I feel have wronged me. And this is exactly the issue--there is something about customer love that is intensely personal. Certainly more personal than a company's product quality, style, ethos, or social responsibility agenda. All of those things contribute to my opinion...but customer love is completely irrational, compulsive, and cuts deep. I'd argue it's the most emotion-based touchpoint a company has at its disposal. Perhaps this is why I enjoyed my time as a waitress so much. Waitressing is one of the best platforms on which to display customer love. Relatively unappreciated, but hugely impactful.

So, welcome to my playful, unscientific documentation of my life as a consumer. I hope it is useful, and that companies listen.

My end goal is to become "chief customer lover" at a company I admire (perhaps my own) someday. This is something at which I would be really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment